The Longevity Thesis Book Video

Sunday, May 6, 2007

Why Linux Programs are so COOL!!!




Well, perhaps against better judgment, I'm going to nerd out. I've been spending some time learning to use the Linux-based program, The GIMP. There are sooooo many good things about this program. First of all, it's free. Secondly, it packs a phenomenal punch. Thirdly, the online help is extensive. Fourthly, well, it's just so much fun! I first started using it to put together the promo bookmarks for The Longevity Thesis, which have been appearing randomly throughout my blog entries, and will continue to do so. I've also made some bookmarks for Nina Munteanu (on the left), and am in the process of doing the same for Connie Ward. (She hasn't approved hers yet, so I won't post any here.)

Anyway, as I go along, I'm finding out how to do more and more neat tricks with The GIMP. Check out this title thingy!



And this little longevity symbol that I've been playing around with:


It's amazing what this program lets me do. It's no slouch, that's for sure. The more I learn about Linux, the more tempted I am to make the leap over to Linux completely, instead of just toying with my Ubuntu live CD.

But . . . I'm still hopelessly addicted to Microsoft.

*Sigh*. Computers are almost as bad as anime. Just can't stop . . .

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool bookmark!! I like your 'title thingy' - and that symbol is wonderful :) I'm glad you're happy with the GIMP.

~ your Photoshop-addict friend ;-)

(yes, I'll try it someday)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I recognise that font in the 'title thingy' ;-)

Anonymous said...

...reminds me of something familiar....

Anonymous said...

UBUNTU!!!!!!!

Nina Munteanu said...

Hey, thanks for posting my bookmark on Darwin's Paradox. You did a cool job and tt looks great. Cool stuff! What does that neat symbol mean?

Jennifer Rahn said...

It's the Chinese symbol for longevity. I thought it looked cool, so I'm playing around with it, even though there are no Chinese people in the novel. And you're welcome! Hey, now that you have cover art . . . ;D